We are experiencing an unprecedented outbreak of wild virus diseases called COVID-19 which is caused by SARS-COV-2, commonly insinuated to Coronavirus. This is the 3rd kind of previous two COVID diseases SARS (South Asian respiratory syndrome) and MARS (Middle East respiratory syndrome). This outbreak is likely to spread the most because of countries interconnectedness under globalization. Many countries are under staid lockdown, this is instigating catastrophic mutilation to the world’s economy.
Several mitigation policies have been adopted by distinct counties to tackle this outbreak. However, there is huge uncertainty going on in measuring that which policy is more efficacious to protect people, the propositions over hand hygiene, movement restrictions, social distancing and lockdown of different lifeline activities has been advised and implemented. The epidemiological results of this outbreak have shown that the infection is more communal in socializing. We can restrain informal social activities but it is very gruelling to limit formal socializing such as economic socialization, Public administering socialization, and more importantly state-actors socialization.
The COVID-19 outbreak is a colossal challenge for people working in different sectors, collectively known as workplaces. The workplace is the most vulnerable zone for COVID-19 outbreak, the people in the workplace can be affected very easily. Similarly, a plethora of people working at different occupations such as shops, bars, delivery services, offices is confronting a high risk of COVID-19 infection. We cannot entirely lock down every sector simply to cope with this outbreak because of food and medical provisions. However, we can verbalize SOPs for every sector. Nevertheless, the COVID-19 has a ruinous influence on workplaces. The emphasized influences of COVID-19 on the workplace are listed and elucidated below.
- The Staff has now fearful hangover because of COVID-19 wilderness.
- Confusion among managers that how to control remotely.
- Change in the benchmarks
- Change in engagement strategy.
- Psychological downfall
- The telecommunicating approaches
- Silver innings
- The Gartner Global Talent report has shown a 4.4% decline in the job market, employees have lost confidence in working in a hazardous environment. The terrifying hangover among staff at a different level is a worrying point. They are very suspicious in dealing with the customers, sometimes ends in the customer’s dissatisfaction. The workplace is now experiencing existential anxiety and it is killing creativity.
- The managers are very confused about how to control staff virtually? Organizational leadership is under serious pressure to sustain staff and protect them from COVID-19 infection. They know that their infection can be harmful to the entire organization. The organizations are also lacking immediate disaster management policies due to the absence of virtual management expertise.
- Hence, this outbreak is pushing every sector to rethink and reshape their approach/policies, the leadership needs to capitalize on this disastrous situation. They need to take optimum steps for their employees in workplaces, the entire benchmark is at menace.
- The COVID-19 has challenged the global market and the organizational approach, the managers need to restructure the workplace policies for employees. The employees can remain focused on organizational goals and objectives. The management needs to rethink their priorities because everyone in the workplace environment is distracted and depressed. Reshaping the management policies about workplace and employees can end in high-value stuff.
- The most crucial influence of coronavirus is that it is damaging the mental health of many workers. The employees in the workplace are more skeptical now, they are more apprehensive during indoor socialization with co-workers and leadership.
- The COVID-19 has transformed the workplace into a telecommunicating web. The Flexjobs has shown a 91% increase in telecommunicating, organizations like Google, Facebook and many other reputed corporations are encouraging their employees to work remotely. This is the only way to reduce the loss.
- There is a silver inning in COVID-19 outbreak, the crises can create an opportunity that can be cherished. We cannot count on profit only in this disarray situation but this can turn the workforce into something good. It will result in digital cohesion among co-workers.
- Section 8 of “OSHA” protects the employer to health in any hazardous situation. Every employer must take reasonable safety measures before entering into any workplace. The employees are obliged to take steps to eliminate any potential hazards.
The WHO has advised taking reasonable steps in the workplace amid minimizing the impact of COVID-19. The WHO is encouraging good health and hand hygiene by postulating sanitizers and hand dispensers at every workplace.
The COVID-19 is stipulating us to insight into the workplace in imminent times. In past, we had this technical competency of managing the remote workforce and employee’s health safety measures, but now we are experiencing all this is real-time. The current circumstances are terrible to run economic affairs, but we are now exposed to this gorilla enemy. We need to reconsider our work more digitally and productively for future challenges.
Written by: Shah Fahad